Legal advice

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) has partnered with Community Law Canterbury (CLC) to provide legal advice to homeowners nationally.

Community Law Canterbury has extensive experience providing legal advice to homeowners, impacted by a natural disaster.

Community Law Canterbury(external link)

CLC lawyers can give you advice on things like:

  • interpretation of policy
  • further information that should be received from insurers or technical experts
  • the terms and effect of accepting an ‘out of policy’ statement offer
  • the terms of the NZCRS Dispute Resolution Agreement, where appropriate
  • all other options for resolving disputes.

As a homeowner, you engage with CLC directly. CLC provides advice to you, not the NZCRS – though we can help you with it if you want us to. The NZCRS will not receive a copy of this advice without your permission.

In most cases, the costs of this advice will be met by the NZCRS. Your CLC lawyer will explain what costs are covered by the NZCRS. Any potential additional costs will be discussed with you before they are incurred.

You can also use your own lawyer, but the costs will not be met by the NZCRS.