Resolving disputes and claims

If you have a dispute that cannot be resolved by negotiations between you, your case manager and your insurer and/or Toka Tū Ake EQC, we can provide information about dispute resolution options.

The NZCRS can provide you and your insurer with an independent and qualified mediator to help you resolve your claim.  We can also advise you on the options available to you should mediation not resolve your issue such as the Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme. Separate legal advice should be obtained before deciding whether to take part in another dispute resolution process – this advice can be provided for free through the NZCRS.

Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme

The Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman (IFSO) Scheme resolves complaints about insurance and financial services. The service is independent, impartial and free for consumers.

Complaints are resolved by conciliation, facilitation and mediation. Where an agreed outcome cannot be achieved, a decision can be made by the IFSO Scheme which is binding on insurers but not on consumers.

NZCRS customers who wish to contact IFSO about their insurance claim can do so by phone at 0800 888 202 or email at: More information is available on the IFSO website.

Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme(external link)

Determination – Canterbury earthquake claims

For homeowners affected by the Canterbury earthquake sequence, the NZCRS provides homeowners a determination service for resolving disputes relating to their insurance claim. NZCRS is working with key stakeholders to make this service available for homeowners outside the Canterbury Earthquake Sequence.  If you want further information on this please contact NZCRS on

Find out more about the NZCRS’s determination processes

Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal

The Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal was established to help people resolve residential insurance claims related to the Canterbury earthquakes though the judicial system.

The Tribunal includes an independent, funded mediation service provided by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, which is experienced in delivering mediation for housing and tenancy issues.

If you do not reach a resolution through the NZCRS, and your claim meets the Tribunal’s criteria, using the Tribunal will still be an option for you.

Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal – Ministry of Justice(external link)

The NZCRS can help with the application to the Tribunal and provide support through the other steps of the process if this is something that you want.