The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) Advisory Committee advises on matters crucial to the resolution of outstanding claims. It has oversight of NZCRS services’ performance, monitors progress against service objectives and can recommend service improvements.
The Advisory Committee has an advisory role. The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is responsible for the overall governance of the NZCRS, reporting to the Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Members of the Advisory Committee
- Chair – a senior MBIE representative
- A senior Toka Tū Ake EQC representative
- The Chair of the Legal Advisory Group
- The Chair of the Engineering Advisory Group
- A wellbeing representative
- Chairs of any active regional Homeowner Advisory Groups
Latest meeting minutes
21 June 2022
Ingrid Bayliss (Chair), Miriam Dean (Barrister Director), Tania Williams (General Manager, Engineering NZ), Tom McBrearty (Chair, Homeowner Advisory Group), Craig Fookes (Treasury)
Darren Wright (Director, GCCRS), Elsa Marshall (Administrator, GCCRS), Jane Bryden (Senior Communications Advisor, EQC), Lars Piepke (Chief Strategy Officer, EQC)
James Beard (Treasury), Lucy D’Aeth (Chair, Wellbeing Advisory Group), Casey Hurren (Chief Executive, Southern Response), Tina Mitchell (Chief Executive, EQC)
Conflicts of interest
- No new conflicts of interest were declared.
- Actions from the previous meeting were reviewed and progress noted on the actions register.
GCCRS operational update
- The GCCRS June 2022 Director’s Report was taken as read and discussed with members.
- A staff update was provided; the GCCRS will decrease from 13 to 10 case managers at the end of June 2022. This decrease in case mangers is expected to impact closure rates as remaining case managers work to get up to speed on the cases handed over to them.
- The satisfaction survey remains very positive with 100% of respondents giving 5/5 for the question ‘I would recommend GCCRS to others’.
- There are approximately 30 open Westport cases remaining with the Residential Advisory Service and there are no more planned trips to Westport. These remaining cases will be managed from Christchurch.
- It was noted in the last period the GCCRS have surpassed the significant milestone of 3000 closed cases.
Response to EQC Inquiry for dispute resolution mechanism
- A progress update was provided on the response to the EQC Inquiry for a dispute resolution mechanism to be established.
- An update on the Natural Hazards Bill was provided. It is currently at the select committee stage.
Advisory group update
Wellbeing Advisory Group
- The Wellbeing Advisory group update was provided by the Chair of the Homeowners Advisory group by request from the Chair of the Wellbeing Advisory Group.
Homeowner Advisory Group
- The group is continuing its work on recruiting new members.
- It was noted that the group is supportive of the Canterbury Earthquakes Insurance Tribunal (CEIT) and intends to voice their support via a letter to relevant Ministers.
Legal Advisory Group
- The group has noted a slowdown in the number of facilitations and determinations coming into the GCCRS service.
- The group are focusing on the overlap between the Natural Hazards Bill and the response to the EQC inquiry as it relates to determinations. The group is considering providing a submission to the Treasury and the Select Committee.
Engineering Advisory Group
- A data update was provided; there are currently 9 open referrals to ENZ with a total of 387 completed referrals.
General business and next meeting
- The next Advisory Committee Meeting date is scheduled for Tuesday 27 September 2022.
The meeting closed at 2.40pm
Previous meeting minutes
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 22 March 2022
Advisory committee Meeting minutes - 14 December 2021
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 21 September 2021
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 6 July 2021
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 4 May 2021
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 2 March 2021
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 12 December 2020
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 8 September 2020
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 7 July 2020
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 27 February 2020
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 6 December 2019
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 9 August 2019
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 22 October 2019
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 7 June 2019
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 12 April 2019
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 8 February 2019
Advisory committee meeting minutes - 29 November 2018