24 October 2023
Canterbury Homeowner Advisory Group meeting minutes
Tom McBrearty (Chair), Daniel Langford, Dean Lester, Phillipa Moore
Darren Wright (Director, NZCRS), Kirsty Hamilton (Principal Advisor, NZCRS), Susan Rolton (Team Leader Support, NZCRS), Nik Behrens (Manager Case Resolution, NZCRS), (Bernadette McDougall (Toka Tū Ake EQC)
Pip Andrews (Toka Tū Ake EQC), Lucy Daeth, Linda Ngata
Conflicts and actions
- The Director, NZCRS advised the group he now sits on the Insurance Council of New Zealand (ICNZ) Consumer Advisory Committee.
- The actions register was reviewed, and progress noted.
Toka Tū Ake EQC
Canterbury claims update
- An update on Canterbury claims was provided with the group discussing the complexity of claims increasing as the time since the events increases.
- Drainage was discussed with Toka Tū Ake EQC advising the majority of claims incoming in September related to drainage. A review of the internal process for drainage claims is underway.
- Incoming cases in September with Toka Tū Ake EQC and those incoming to NZCRS were discussed. NZCRS agreed to provide further detail to Toka Tū Ake EQC to determine the claims’ status.
- Timeframes and process for insurers accepting over-cap claims was discussed.
NZCRS operational update
- The Director spoke to his October 2023 NZCRS Director’s Report which will be circulated by the end of the week.
- A staffing update was provided with the NZCRS team now spread geographically to meet the demand. High demand in Auckland was highlighted.
- Average caseloads per Case Manager were discussed with this number trending downwards as new staff have come on board, relieving existing staff of some pressure.
- Progression of aged claims (those that entered the NZCRS prior to 2021) was discussed and the steady reduction noted. The group suggested a further breakdown was provided in the next report to detail those proceeding with various dispute resolution mechanisms.
- The group expressed their support for NZCRS’ approach to aged cases (pre-2021) and their suggested pathway for homeowners to achieve resolution.
- Community and iwi engagement was discussed with the Director highlighting this has been a focus since launch of the NZCRS.
- The retirement of Peter Woods was discussed, and the group recognised his impact and efforts in the Canterbury earthquakes space.
- The NZCRS quality assurance process was discussed, with the Director advising the group they are working towards an ISO9001 accreditation with the target date of October 2024.
- The Natural Hazards Insurance Act Dispute Resolution Scheme was discussed. NZCRS advise the group they would be tendering to be an approved scheme.
- Consistency of new staff training and focus on the NZCRS Kaupapa, and principles was discussed.
- Ongoing insurance for homeowners was discussed with the group highlighting the need for insurers to be upfront and honest with their policyholders.
- The next CHOAG meeting is scheduled for 12 December 2023.
Meeting closed: 3pm